So I just heard that Newburgh got some federal attention for being so violent that Pres. Obama actually mentioned it. http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100306/NEWS/3060326
It just so happens I've started a teaching job in the Newburgh City School District in an after school program through the Newburgh Performing Arts Academy. My hopes are to inspire change and action against violence for the young people, starting with Temple Hill Academy (an elementary-middle school where we are posted). The program is for 5th-8th graders, encouraging education and interdisciplinary connections in the hopes to getting these kids to make a difference in their lives for the better.
The afternoon starts with a snack and homework time, followed by "academic enrichment" where teachers, such as myself, create opportunities for students to develop their writing/reading/math skills. The final hour is a fun elective. I've got a bookmaking class, and may start a poster design/propaganda class. Other classes include leadership development,
digital arts, visual arts, african drumming, dance, theater, slam poetry, documentary photo, tv/documentary film, web design/blogging, etc.
Yeesh, I wish I had this when I was a kid, but then again, I had a very good school that was not failing on any standard at the time. (pre-NCLB Act of course...)
I'm very excited to be a part of it, and will include photos in the future.
We are the creators of our lives. What we seek, we already have.
